Part IV Cloze (10 points)
Directions: There are 10 blanks in the following passage. For each numbered blank, there are 4 choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the best one and mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single bar through the center of the letter.
Goats are being hired to do the work of men in a neighborhood just outside of San Diego. The fires that occurred in Hillborough four years ago __51__ thirty homes. __52__ contractors were rebuilding the homes, nature was regrowing the grasses and bushes. The area is now so overgrown that it again __53__ a major fire risk.
The city council __54__ bids to remove the grasses and bushes. The lowest bid they received was $50,000. And that was if the city provided breakfast and lunch for the work crews for the six weeks __55__ would take to clear the overgrown area. The city countered, __56__ unlimited coffee and a hamburger a day for each crew member. When that offer was __57__ , the city asked for help on its website.
A goat-keeper read about the city's problem while __58__ the web. He offered to do the job for $25,-000. The city council agreed. When told that the city dump was overflowing, the goat-keeper said, "No problem. My goats will eat everything in your dump. Except for the car engines, of course," So, for another $5,000, the city killed two birds __59__ one stone. If all __60__, they will invite the goat-keeper and his "family" back every three years.
51. A. destroyed B. polluted C. fell D. broke
52. A. That B. While C. How D. Which
53. A. takes B. covers C. shows D. poses
54. A. set about B. put up C. asked for D. took in
55. A. they B. it C. as D. that
56. A. putting B. having C. drinking D. offering
57. A. rejected B. accepted C. proposed D. postponed
58. A. surfing B. looking C. scanning D. tracking
59. A. on B. with C. in D. at
60. A. settles down B. comes along C. turns on D. goes well
恢复案：A B D B B D A A B D